Name:
Location: Virginia

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

More Doctor Who Jokes

The 'Knock Knock' joke. The origins of this simple two-person exchange gag are not clear, though our best guess is that it was first told by an annoying schoolboy sometime back in the early 1970's. It's the kind of simple mirth-ism that would find its way into Morcambe & Wise Christmas Specials, usually when the two joksters ran out of decent material. Scary fact: you told this joke to somebody when you were younger, and you thought it was funny!

Knock Knock! Who's there? Doctor. Doctor who? Yes. Yes what? You said it. Doctor who. Eh? Never mind. I don't get it. Forget about it. Knock Knock! What? Knock Knock! Go on... Alright. Knock Knock! Um... Who's there? Eh? Doctor...? Arggh! Go away and die!! Doctor? What? No, Doctor who? What? (etc.)

The 'Chronic Hysteresis' song. This chucklesome (if irritating) little ditty must have been invented sometime after the original UK transmission of the Tom Baker season 18 story Meglos (27/09/1980 - 18/10/1980), which first mentioned the phrase 'Chronic Hysteresis' to describe a TIME LOOP, or recurring event. Naturally, the song found its way into The New Adventures, alongside pointless menky references to whichever pop group the authors were into at the time (usually 'Madchester' baggy groups). It's hard to know which is worse, really.

I'm in a Chronic Hysteresis! I'm in a Chronic Hysteresis! I'm in a Chronic Hysteresis! I'm in a Chronic Hysteresis! I'm in a Chronic Hysteresis! I'm in a Chronic Hysteresis! I'm in a Chronic Hysteresis! I'm in a Chronic Hysteresis! I'm in a Chronic Hysteresis! I'm in a Chronic Hysteresis! I'm in a Chronic Hysteresis! I'm in a Chronic Hysteresis! I'm in a Chronic Hysteresis! I'm in a Chronic Hysteresis! I'm in a Chronic Hysteresis! I'm in a Chronic Hysteresis! I'm in a Chronic Hysteresis! I'm in a Chronic Hysteresis! (etc.)

The 'Chap With Wings' joke. Sometimes it's obvious when a writer has gone out of his way to set up joke in advance: surely the only reason why Denise Richards' character in the James Bond film, The World Is Not Enough is called Christmas Jones is so that 007 can crack a "Christmas only comes once a year' joke at the end of the movie! Similarly, there can be no doubt that New Adventures writer Paul Cornell, in his novel No Future, set up an attack at a rock concert featuring Paul McCartney & his 1970's rock group (who have been taken over by aliens) so that he can have the Brigadier bark his most famous order in a totally iconic and ironic way. That's post-modernism at work for you.

The Brigadier jumped to his feet. 'Chap with Wings, five rounds rapid!'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home